Holy Trinity Platt - Manchester
A flexible space that retains the special significance of the listed building, but also incorporates the functionality needed by the Church.
Holy Trinity Church, known locally as Holy Trinity Platt, is a large Victorian Gothic Church Building located in Rusholme, to the south of Manchester City Centre. The existing church building is listed Grade 2* and was designed by Edmund Sharpe in 1845. The building is distinguished by its novel and innovative use of terracotta as a building material. This is known as one of Sharpe’s ‘Pot Churches’ and is probably the second Church building to be constructed in terracotta in England. The first being St Stephens, Bolton, also by Edmund Sharpe in 1842/3.
The congregation at Holy Trinity Platt is growing in size and this has caused issues with the existing building and its physical limitations. The brief to Byrom Clark Roberts was to remove the existing pews and to install a new level floor including insulation and under floor heating; together with new flexible seating and a new extended dais/ stage to the Chancel. Work also included accommodating a new refurbished electronic organ together with new power / PA services throughout the worship area and a new sound and lighting control desk.
Challenges + Opportunities
The project has not been without controversy. The Church wished to re-order their building to provide them with much needed flexibility but had to endure a Consistory Court Hearing into the proposals to remove the bulk of the church pews. A small number of existing pews have therefore been retained behind the organ to the north east corner.
The installation of the new floor with underfloor heating has enabled a vast increase in flexibility and use within the church building. Facilities have been included for perimeter ‘top-up’ radiators if required but, to date, these have not been required.
The existing building was closed for the duration of the contract works which consisted of removing the existing floor together with the stone flagged aisles. The subfloor was exposed and new sub-structural walls constructed to take new pc beams with solid block infill (beam & block) prior to installing the insulation with screed including the underfloor heating coils.
Service ducts were included in the floor screed to allow for PA and other wired services.
Byrom Clark Roberts provided Architectural & Conservation Consultancy Services together with Structural Engineering Services for the foundational design to the new subfloor support walls.
"The removal of the pews together with the raised platforms below them and the installation of underfloor heating has provided us with a vastly improved flexible and accessible space."
[Bill Ibram | Holy Trinity Church PCC]
- Project Type : Church Conservation Restoration & Re-ordering Project
- Project Value : £197,000
- Project Status : Completed to RIBA Stage 7
- BCR services : Full Service including Project Management to Completion.
- Start / End : May 2012 – February 2014
- Contractor : HH Smith & Sons Ltd.
- Last Updated : 1st November 2016